Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crockery Beef Stew

Sometimes a clear or broth soup tastes good. This is a nutritious, economical meal. Good on your food storage menue. If you have stored potatoes & carrots, dried onions and fresh or dried celery, you have a meal. I served this Wednesday to Kristen and her 3 children, Dad, Diane and I. Even Diane had a second helping. Thursday Dad and I enjoyed it again. This was my table setting for lunch today.

2 lbs. Cubed beef
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp. oil
OR 1 or 2 cans beef from cannery
1 bay leaf
1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce - I use 1/4 Tbsp.
1 onion chopped
1 cup beef bouillon or 1 tsp. beef pwdr or granules to 1 cup water
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
6 carrots peeled and sliced
1 cup sliced celery
4 potatoes, peeled and cut
2 med. turnips (optional)
4 cups water

Coat meat in flour and brown in oil if you desire. Sometimes I don't brown cubed meat. Combine all ingredients except flour and oil in Crock Pot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hrs. This is so yummy on a cool Fall day!

Can add grated cheese and crackers.

No comments: